Thursday, October 8, 2015

Go tell the world

     If you could tell one thing to the entire world, what would you say? Would you give encouragement, advice, tell everyone to toughen up?
     Think about it for a moment. Everyone wants to change the world but the big question is how? How are you going to do that? Well, if what you could tell the world would change it, what would you say?
     It's hard to think of only one thing. I mean, look around and there are so many we wish we could tell everyone. You know?
     But if you could make it one thing, what would you say?
     I'll give you a moment to think it over.
     I was asked a similar question at a job interview, the question was "what do you think is the number one problem that teens are facing?" or something along those lines. So, I thought for a few seconds because the first things I thought of were drugs, cigarettes, things like that. Then I realized that we know that those things are bad but we do them anyway. Why?
     Anyhow, my answer was "I think the biggest problem today for teens are conflicting ideas that go against what we know to be true." I don't know how to put that in simpler words but I do know how to explain it. Drugs, smoking, it's not healthy. Both of those things can tear families apart, in fact on cigarette boxes it say that it can cause cancer. And we're always being told about drinking and driving and stuff.
     So, why do we do it then? Why do we smoke when it clearly says that cigarettes can and will harm our bodies? Why do we drink when we know that drinking can rip apart our families and our lives? Why?
     I think it's because there's so many rumors that are constantly going around that tell us that the things we know to be wrong are good and fun and won't harm you at all. We know it's wrong but when everyone else is giving into those rumors we can be pulled in because we want to fit in and it's the "cool" and "in" thing.
     But let me tell you, those addictions, they are not, in any way, worth it. Don't think that you won't be pulled in; that's what a lot of people thought. Popularity, peer pressure; don't let those things push you into things you know are not right. It's not worth it. I promise. The addiction is not worth it. Once you give in, you become a slave.
     So, I know that there are people who've tried it once and don't do it again but that percent of people against the percent of people who keep doing it...well, I don't have actual numbers but I think I'm safe in saying that the scale is heavier on the side of those who keep doing it.
     I know that addictions are powerful, they drag you in and trap you there. Escaping is hard.
     Be careful of the choices you make.

No comments:

Post a Comment