Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Is killing in war murder

It all depends.
Yeah, that was a bit...I don't know the word for it but...vague might be close. Anyway, what I mean, is it depends on you. That's still a little vague so let me share with you the story of Alvin York.
Alvin York grew up Tennessee in 1887. Alvin was a troublemaker. He smoked, drank and gambled. But he completely turned his life around after a friend of his was killed in a fight. Soon after Alvin was drafted into the army. Not wanting to kill anyone, he applied a 'conscientious objector.' (A conscientious objector is someone who would like to be excused from military service due to their opinion, conscience or religion. In Alvin's case it was religion.) Unfortunately, his request was denied. And so Alvin York was off to war.

Alvin was a hunter and his aim was precise. He was diffidently an asset to the army; only he still didn't want to fight.
His commanding officers gave him some time off to go back home and think about whether or not he'd be staying in the army or not. They even gave him some Bible verses to ponder on.
After a while Alvin came to the conclusion that he would fight; he would fight to defend his country. Alvin went on to become one of World War I's heroes. In fact, if you look up WWI heroes, Alvin York comes up. He really is a very inspiring and interesting person.
Another thing to think about is attitude. You could go into battle with the choice to be defending your home, family, freedom, etc. or you can go in hoping to kill more people then everyone else. Of course, I'm pretty sure no one thinks that way. Anyway, the way you feel about it can change a lot.
So, I can't decide for you, since everyone's decision is different, but I hope I've helped. The question on whether killing in war is murder or not, really is a very interesting and tricky subject. If you think killing in war is murder, then I totally understand.
It's just one of those things that you have to decide for yourself.



Sources
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_C._York
Adventures in Odyssey, Sergeant York

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, BerylB. This is a really interesting perspective and I agree with all of your points. I do believe it is our perspective that makes it murder or not. It's still a very difficult question for me.
    On the one hand, if WWIII started and I was eligible, I cannot say that I would not fight for my family, friends, freedom and beliefs. If it came to it, I know I would fight with all my energy and soul, not resting until things were better.
    On the other hand, I can't help but think of those men (and women) on both sides of the battlefield. Those young boys who, faking an older age, joined the army in their eagerness (and naivety) to fight. Their innocence will die, their potential never recognized. Their mothers, siblings, and girlfriends will forever mourn that loss when he never returns. Even of the older men who will leave behind their wives and young children, praying for their Daddy to return. What happens to his family if he doesn't? The thought that if I, as a hypothetical soldier, had caused that suffering breaks my heart and fills me with guilt, even though I've never even shot anything more dangerous than a BB Gun.
    Really, there is no answer. That's why I hate war. The unnecessary bloodshed and extinguishment of hope and innocence. The hatred, the ugliness, the pain, the unanswerable, two-sided questions.
    Thank you again for writing this. I'm still confused and uncertain, but this does help.

    ReplyDelete