Friday, May 16, 2014

Our Anchor - Part Four - [you fill in this spot]

I put this part in because sometimes, as they say, "one man's trash is another man's treasure."
So, fill in the blank; what's really important to you? And I don't mean things like an Xbox, Wii or Smartphone; I mean things that are special. Things that can help ground you in a quickly changing world.
For example, maybe playing the piano is a big thing to you and it's really important. That could be part of your anchor.
Sometimes for me, I like just doing something by myself because it gives me time to think. And during that down time, I might be listening to an audio book or doodling or something. But doing something like that helps me to slow down even if I'm really stressed and busy.

I guess what I'm really getting at is, what helps you slow down and relax a little?
We need to have a time for ourselves. It doesn't really need to be a regular time but taking some time for you is important. Sometimes, when I'm backed up on homework and life, I find myself doing something creative or something that's not really important. And I realize, "Hey, I could be doing something that I need to do." But sometimes I'm glad I took that time for myself because during that time, I forgot about my other stuff and I just focused on me. It gave me time to wind down and relax.
Now, I can't do that all the time and that doesn't mean that you should forget what you need to do but it does feel good to take time off.
Do you have a favorite book, movie or song? A favorite game or hobby? That could be part of it (your anchor). In fact, I'm not limiting how many things might make up this part of your anchor. But remember, I would encourage you to think about things that are important to you. Think about it. Look past your iPod and Tablet; what is something that is truly important to you? Something that refreshes you, maybe makes you think about something in a different way. Maybe touches you in a special way.
For example, an anchor for me might be the book Courageous. It covers a whole variety of topics like the loss of a family member and gangs. It was a very touching and highly inspirational book. (There's also a movie; I think the book is based off the book. Not something that happens all the time!)
So, think about it and find out what helps keep you anchored.

No comments:

Post a Comment